- Baselayer Tops: One synthetic long-sleeve shirt. Hoods for sun protection are strongly recommended.
- Mid-layer Top: A synthetic or fleece top.
- Softshell Jacket: This is a breathable but wind-and-weather resistant jacket. Hoods are highly recommended.
- Hardshell Jacket: A fully waterproof shell. GORE-TEX© or equivalent. Hoods are required.
- Insulated Jacket: Medium weight down. 700+ fill or higher required.
Note: Proper hardshell rain gear is required on all trips.
- Mountaineering Boots: Full shank crampon compatible double plastic, leather, synthetic, or hybrid boot depending on climb and season.
Note: Please read our Mountaineering Boots and Crampons guides for recommendations.
● Double plastic mountaineering boots or heavyweight synthetic/hybrid mountaineering boots are required for Mount Rainier, early season climbs on Mount Baker, and in the North Cascades.
● Single-weight synthetic/leather mountaineering boots are adequate for mid- and late-summer climbs on Mount Baker and in the North Cascades when conditions are expected to be dry.
X – NO backpacking or trekking boots are allowed above high camp on any trip. Climbing boots must be full shank and crampon compatible.
- Approach Shoes (Optional): Light hiking boots or sturdy trail running shoes for late-season approaches to high camp after trails are free of snow. Must be sturdy enough to support your ankles while carrying a 45- to 60-pound pack.
- Mediumweight Socks: Two pair of wool or synthetic socks.
- Heavyweight Socks: One pair of wool or synthetic socks for sleeping in and for summit day.
- Backpack: One 65- to 75-liter pack for personal and group gear. Should have an effective waist belt, fit properly and provide good support while carrying 45-60 lbs.
- Liner Bags: 1 large plastic contractor bag.
Note: An adequate size backpack is required. You are responsible to carry all your personal gear and food, as well as a portion of group gear (tents, ropes, stoves, fuel, etc.). We do not recommend an additional pack for summit day.
- Non-Locking Carabiners: (4) Wire gate non-locking carabiners.
- Belay Device: Tube style belay device.
- Rescue Pulley
- Prussik Cord: 6 mm, 30 feet
- Nylon Slings: (2) 60 cm nylon slings
Note: We do suggest these items for training.
Personal Health and First Aid