If you already have an interest in mountaineering or if you are an outdoor sports enthusiast looking for your next physical challenge, a mountaineering course and summit climb in the Pacific Northwest may be just what you are looking for. The peaks of the North Cascades are a perfect place to learn mountaineering or advance your current skills.
- 3 Day Intro to Mountaineering – Northwest Alpine Guides’ Mount Baker summit climb and introduction to mountaineering school offers the opportunity to learn the fundamental climbing skills needed to climb the mountain successfully with a guide. The course is designed for first-time climbers, or for those seeking to refresh their climbing skills.
- 5 Day Glacier Mountaineering – Learn how to climb big mountains on the second most glaciated peak in the lower 48 States! The emphasis of this course is on building glacier mountaineering skills as well as a summit climb of Mount Baker. The instruction is designed for climbers seeking to further their skills for larger peaks or to gain independence in a glaciated environment. During the school you will learn the fundamentals of glacier mountaineering, climbing on snow and crampon techniques, self arrest, traveling as a rope team, crevasse rescue, covering the essential climbing skills needed to travel safely in the mountains. Our glacier mountaineering course allows more time to develop advanced mountaineering skills, preparing aspiring climbers for expeditions to Denali, Aconcagua, or the Himalaya.
- 4 Day Alpine Mountaineering Skills – The emphasis of this course will be learning alpine mountaineering skills on a peak within North Cascades National Park. The instruction is designed for climbers seeking to gain independence in a glaciated environment. During the school you will learn the fundamentals of glacier mountaineering, climbing on snow and crampon techniques, self arrest, traveling as a rope team, introduction to snow anchors and basic crevasse rescue, covering the essential climbing skills needed to travel safely in the mountains. The course includes a summit climb of either Mount Shuksan, Sahale Mountain or Eldorado Peak. The course curriculum with be conducted on the Sulfide Glacier, Boston Basin (Quien Sabe Glacier) or within the Eldorado Cross-country zone (the Eldorado and Inspiration Glaciers).
- 2 Day Crevasse Rescue and Ice Climbing – Mount Baker offers superb access to glacier ice within a few hour hike from the Heliotrope Ridge trailhead. Our course covers the basic fundamentals of ice climbing and crevasse rescue, including the use of ice axe, crampons, and crevasse rescue equipment needed to travel safely on glaciated mountains. The course is designed for climbers seeking to gain independence in a glaciated environment such as Mount Baker and Mount Rainier.
- 2 Day Intro to Alpine Rock – Come discover the thrill of alpine rock with a climb of The Tooth. Located at Snoqualmie pass just 45 minutes outside of Seattle, The Tooth offers a great day of multi-pitch rock climbing and rewarding views.